Sunday, January 19, 2014

I AM a writer


My journey of writing for kids began long ago. Once upon a time, in my teens I thought about writing. I toyed with it a bit in my twenties, gave it a passing glance in my thirties, but there always seemed to be something in the way, not the least of which was my own self-doubt.

Throughout those years, I was busy with teaching, family, and other life stuff with barely a moment to myself. So, writing took a hit. I look back now, and realize that it was, in fact, all a part of the journey that would prepare for taking this job seriously. I was exploring and learning along the way, whether I knew it or not. Every stage of life allowed me valuable lessons, all leading me to this point. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" has new meaning.  

There were hints along the way that I should continue down this path.  Little whispers that made my mind drift, again to the possibilities of writing for kids; comments from parents at school who insisted that my ideas should be shared, ideas from my own children that would lend themselves to beautiful stories, my job as a writer/editor for a regional magazine in which people convinced me that I could, actually, write!

I know now, that I didn't start writing for kids seriously in my twenties or even my forties for a reason. I just wasn't ready. I now have the time, the life experience, and the confidence to take myself and this job seriously. For the first time, ever, I'm not shy about referring to myself as a writer and I don't care who hears, or who else believes it, for that matter.

I know that the self-doubt will creep in from time to time. And I know, now, why I let those feeling trip me up in the past; because I wanted it so badly. It's harder, sometimes, to try something you REALLY want, because.... well, if you don't try, you won't fail. That's not good enough for me anymore.

The difference, now, is that I believe this is what I was meant to do. And I believe in myself. So, watch out world. Here I come. I am a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment